Degrees and Certificates

These degrees and the IAI are to meet general education requirements for a four-year degree. The links below are descriptions and requirements of the IAI General Education Math and transfer degrees.

It is recommended that students planning to transfer follow the requirements of one of the following:

List of common majors at Illinois Colleges/Universities

The Associate in General Studies Degree (A.G.S) 

The Associate in General Studies Degree (A.G.S) requires completion of 60 credit hours with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 and is an individualized degree that meets the needs and interests of the student. This degree allows for the combination of both transfer and career courses.  While not intended to be a transfer degree, the A.G.S. degree recognizes completion of two years of college.

Career Programs

Career programs are designed to lead to employment after one or two years of study. Normally courses in these programs are not designed to be transferred. There are exceptions and IVCC counselors can help explain how parts or all of a career program can be transferred. IVCC offers two options within the Career Program:

  • Associate of Applied Science
    The A.A.S. is the degree program in the career area. The A.A.S. can be completed in two years of full-time study (or longer if attending on a part-time basis). About 75 percent of the course work required for the A.A.S. is directly in the particular major or field of study, or very closely related to it. The remaining 25 percent of the course work is in General Education. Some IVCC degrees and certificates may lead to licensure and will be cross listed.
  • Certificates
    Certificates are shorter career programs. Some certificates consist of as few as three courses; other advanced certificates may contain over 40 credit hours. Most certificate programs take about one year to complete (as a full-time student). Certificate programs contain many of the same courses found in the longer A.A.S. degree programs. Some IVCC degrees and certificates may lead to licensure and will be cross listed.

Licensure Programs

For students wanting to take Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) and/or Emergency Medical Responder (EMR) courses. EMT Basic and EMR courses may lead to State Certification. These do not lead to an IVCC Certificate or Associate in Applied Science.